After watching the Hairy Dieters create their low fat version of a lasagne using leeks to replace the pasta sheets, I knew it was a fab idea and had to give it a go, after looking over their original recipe I soon realised that with a few small changes I could still lower the calorie content even further (over 140 calories lower) without compromising on flavour, and the results were amazing, anything at all I think I prefer this lasagne more, compared to one made with pasta sheets.
Hairy Dieter’s Inspired Lasagne
- Difficulty Level Medium
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 500g extra lean minced beef
- ½ medium white onion finely chopped
- 2 medium leeks
- 2 sticks of celery finely sliced
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 150g chestnut/closed cup mushrooms
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 100g fat free natural cottage cheese
- 80g primula light soft cheese
- 45g reduced fat mature cheddar grated
- 1 egg
- 1 oxo cube
- 2 large fresh tomatoes sliced
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- In a heavy based saucepan or pan brown the mince, add the onions, garlic, celery and carrot and allow to soften, breaking up any big lumps of mince.
- Add the mushrooms, tomatoes, tomato puree, oxo cube and mixed herbs, combine the ingredients together pop a lid on and let it simmer until the carrots are tender, stirring from time to time. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the ends of the leeks and trim to the width of your lasagne tray. Very carefully slice the leeks length ways until you reach the middle, separating the leaves remove the other 4/5 these will replace your standard lasagne sheets. Slice the remaining leeks and add to the beef sauce. Take the separated leeks and cook in boiling water for 5 minutes or until tender, drain under cold running water until cooled. Lay on a flat surface and pat dry with a clean tea towel or kitchen paper
- Pre heat your oven to 180’c. Place the cottage cheese, primula soft cheese and egg in a jug and blend until smooth, season with a dash of cayenne pepper, sprinkle of salt and a good grinding of fresh black pepper.
- In an oven proof dish add half of the mince, top with a layer of leeks and repeat the process, finishing off by pouring over the cheese sauce, topping with the fresh tomatoes and sprinkle over the grated cheese.
- Pop in the oven for 15 minutes until golden brown. Serve with a large garden salad.
Hi, I'm Melanie but most people call me Mel! I love good tasting food, enjoy cooking and growing my own veg. Love the great outdoors and spending time with my family.